A Gateway to Positive Thought
Are you a positive thinking person? If you said yes, then let me ask you, how much of your day is spent watching, reading, or listening to the news?
Studies have shown that positive thought leads to positive results, and consuming information that holds a negative connotation obviously has a significant influence on one’s ability to maintain a positive outlook.
Whether you spend time reading the paper, listening to the news or watching CNN, you’re sure to find a plethora of information all geared toward achieving one thing – quickly grabbing (and keeping) your attention.
News media has a single purpose, and it’s not to provide you the “unbiased news” despite the various claims made. The news is meant to attract your attention.
The news outlets and media sources make claims that justify (and in turn attracts) advertising. Advertising generates revenue.
I realize this might seem like common sense, but in working with my coaching clients one of the first areas we explore is what kinds of information they are letting into their conscious and subconscious mind.
Minimizing (or even eliminating) time spent consuming news is one of the single biggest contributors to creating a positive state of mind.
Here is a daily regimen I advise my coaching clients to follow:
1. Awake early and review your goals (short-term and long-term)
2. Exercise for a minimum of 20 minutes, preferably high intensity.
3. Create your plan for the day – review your schedule and set time aside for key goals for the day.
4. Connect with family (if you leave home early for work or are traveling, call your spouse and/or kids to connect).
5. Review one media source (i.e. WSJ) by screening headlines only – review only those articles that impact you specifically, don’t read the publication cover to cover.
By following this approach to starting each day, you ensure you are prepared both mentally and physically, being aware of world events – while not being influenced by them.
Be conscious about how and when you consume media, as the wrong sources or frequency will serve only to diminish your attitude rather than create a gateway to thinking positively.
© Shawn Casemore 2014. All rights reserved.
Satisfy your customers, ensure your continuity and
Grow your business.
Grab your free copy of Grow Your Business From The Inside Out TO learn what it takes.