Engagement is built upon communications. Below are 10 ways in which you can build and sustain employee engagement:
1. Solicit feedback from employees before deciding on change initiatives.
2. Cater communications to align with departmental objectives.
3. Continuously ask yourself – “What is in the employees best interest?”
4. Ensure senior and middle managers make mention of change initiatives during every team discussion.
5. Develop rewards and incentives to solicit employee ideas.
6. Ensure open discussions are cultural commitment, not an “event.”
7. Connect new programs and initiatives with employee questions or concerns.
8. Create multiple communication channels with employees: team meetings, group meetings, individual meetings, email, broadcast messages, instant messaging, individualized mailers, etc.
9. Capture employee comments and ideas and interject into discussions across the business on a frequent basis.
10. Attain employee feedback on communication effectiveness. Inject changes where necessary to maximize communication quality and frequency.
Remember, if you want to build true engagement communications should be fluid and natural, not disjointed and uncomfortable.
© Shawn Casemore 2013. All rights reserved.