Many of you have written to me asking how I get so much done. Well I’ve long been a proponent of taking action. Sure I’ve made a few mistakes along the way, but I’ve also had a number of significant accomplishments despite several obstacles and challenges. Many more are to come, that I can assure you.
My motto has always been to focus on speed over procrastination. That’s not to say that everything should be done quickly, actually quite the contrary. But by focusing on speed I am able to achieve more. Here is the specific formula I apply:
1. Identify the top 3 tasks for the day; top 10 tasks for the week. Write them down.
2. Do the most difficult task first each day – no cop outs, no excuses.
3. If you become stumped with how to move forward, do something. Don’t sit and think about it or move onto something else (by taking some form of action the desired path will always present itself).
4. Celebrate achievements with small rewards. A favorite TV show; a new pair of shoes; call a friend to catch up. Rewards to not have to be grandiose.
5. Rinse and repeat. It’s easy to fall into the trap of breaking habits. Hold yourself accountable.
The most important point I can make to you. None of my success would have been possible if I listed to everyone else. I decide what needs to be done, I set the standard, I hold myself to account. It’s really that simple.
So what are you waiting for?
© Shawn Casemore 2013. All rights reserved.